Monday, June 27, 2011

Ketchikan to Washington

 After the bike was serviced, we headed south to Mt. Rainier.  This is a shot of one river in the forest on the southeastern side.







While the rig was in the shop, we wandered up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic NP.  More snow!
Olympic NP

 We rode this borrowed Ural rig through the Olympic Pennicinula.  The R1200R loaner Ride West offered me had no bags or luggage capacity.  A tech offered to take the service loaner and give us his Ural sidecar rig for a day and a half.  Though there was no ticket, I did get stopped going up the hill toward Port Angeles. . .third gear, up hill, into a head wind. . .for going too slow.  "Did you see the line of cars behind you?"  NO SIR. (The mirrors vibrated and I couldn't see squat.) "Do you understand what the pullouts are for?"  YES SIR. "License please."  He disappears.  Seems like hours pass.  He returns. "I don't have to write you a $125 ticket to make my point do I?" NO SIR.  Phew.  Later, after going through all the likely spots on the bike and in the car, I realize that the service tech who loaned me the rig had not left the registration or insurance papers on the bike.  This all could have gone very badly. 
Along the beach at Dongeness

The tradition has been upheld.

Beach art

Russian BMW

 The Chinook Pass over Mt. Rainier had opened just two days ago.  The plows were finally able to get the snow off the roads!



 This mountain keeps to herself many days.  For us, she was out in all her splendor.


 Robin's rodents were happy to have a nice cozy ride.
 Rainier is Seattle's playground.  The mountain was alive with the sounds of frolickers.  Here two skiers are off to climb the face and do a June run.

Old growth lined the road down toward Ashford

2 comments:

  1. Great photos...Love the "loner" rig... (lucky you got a nice cop)Safe travels home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I meant "loaner"...It's not a "loner" if it has a sidecar, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete